For those of you who can’t be bothered spending longer than 45 minutes in the kitchen, I give you this Cherry Ripe inspired ice cream cake creation. We shared this with family and special friends to end a beautiful Christmas Day of eating, laughing, talking and dancing…it was bliss.
I made this on Christmas Eve, but it can be stored for weeks so feel free to make and eat gradually as you wish! I would recommend decorating the cake with the chocolate and cherries half an hour before serving, and then freezing it quickly for 15 minutes to set. This way the cherries won’t have time to get frosty, but the whole thing will still be firm. I took too long to get my act together and photograph this (may or may not have been standing over the sink licking out the tin), so it started melting into a delicious mess. It is best served straight from the freezer, and cut using a hot knife! I hope you enjoy it. Note that if you use a gluten free ice cream and nougat, and leave out the cherry ripe bars, this recipe is suitable for those who cannot eat gluten.
Chocolate, Cherry and Coconut Ice Cream Wreath
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 6-8 hours, or overnight
Chocolate, Cherry and Coconut Ice Cream
- 3 litres good quality vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- 75 g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 300 g nougat (with complementary flavours, e.g. cherry, berries, vanilla, chocolate, nuts etc), cubed
- 300 g tinned pitted Morello cherries, halved
- 3 Cherry Ripe bars, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- 250 g good quality dark chocolate
- 8-10 fresh cherries, washed and dried
- In a large bowl, use a strong metal spoon to combine all ice cream ingredients.
- Pour into a 25 x 9 cm bundt tin, and cover tightly with glad wrap/cling wrap.
- Freeze for 6-8 hours, or overnight, until firm.
- Remove from freezer and allow to soften slightly for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Refreeze for 15-30 minutes until firm. While ice cream is refreezing, melt decorative chocolate in a small bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Allow chocolate to cool, until it has a thick pouring consistency. Drizzle over the wreath, then decorate immediately with fresh cherries. Refreeze for 15 minutes until chocolate and ice cream is set. Run a sharp knife under hot water, cut and serve.
Can be stored covered in the freezer until the expiry date of the ice cream!